Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Walk of life

Here comes Johnny and he'll tell you the story
Hand me down my walkin' shoes
Here comes Johnny with the power and the glory
Backbeat the talkin' blues
He got the action, he got the motion
Oh Yeah the boy can play
Dedication devotion
Turning all the night time into the day

- Walk of Life by Dire Straits

At the intersection of the seemingly endless stretch of Nathan Rd and Boundary St, I took a right and that's where LP's walk tour began. Just ahead was a very unusual building amidst the urban environment, one belonging to the Seventh Adventist... it has some sort of a medieval feel to it. Still along Boundary St westward, you'd come across 'Mong Kok Stadium' and next to it, an entrance into paradise... this beautiful place away from the hordes of Chinese tourists that has flocked the main shopping streets of HK, Yuen Po St Bird Garden. You definitely know you're there when there's an unusally high amount of bird-chirping sounds.








Seventh Adventist at Boundary St. & Tung Choi St. intersection















Yuen Po Street Bird Garden














Flower Market Street... literally!









Yuen Po St Bird Garden wasn't really a bird sanctuary; rather a place where the most exotic birds are traded and a place where their proud owners show off their prized possessions. It was really the most exotic collection of birds I have ever seen.






After walking thru the gardens, I sensed a sweet smell ahead. Was I surprised that just outside the other end of the gardens was Flower Market St; and it is literally a flower market street. Many people were buying flowers and it was sort of a fanfare atmosphere. I just am amazed at how they manage to display fresh flowers everyday to allow the street that houses them to live up to its name.






Next, I walked eastward along Prince Edward Rd West and turned left into Tung Choi St. Almost immediately, you see lots of shops selling fish; not fish for consumption but fish for pets. This is the Goldfish Market of Tung Choi St. The traffic congestion here was horrendous. So I thanked my lucky stars that I was doing a ‘walking tour’. In fact, the traffic was at a standstill so much so that I could walk right into the middle of the road and started clicking away.






After getting up the pedestrian overhead walkway to cross Argyle St, I continued along Tung Choi St where now it becomes like a bazaar that sells an assorted variety of things ranging from fake jewelry to souvenirs to naughty kinky undergarments! This is the Tung Choi St market a.k.a. “Ladies Market”.

Upon reaching the intersection along Dundas St, I turned right and walked along Dundas St, crossed Nathan Rd then turned left (southwards) along Shanghai St, then left on Hi Lung Lane till I got to Temple St. The Temple Street Night Market starts here and southwards all along Temple St; there are places to eat and almost the same things that I saw at the Tung Choi St market; only that the crowd here wasn’t as humongous as it was over at Tung Choi.

At the end of Temple St part 1, was Tin Hau Temple (which divides Temple St in two) and it was already closed by the time I got there at 7 pm. I continued along the 2nd part of Temple St till I reached Jordan Rd and headed for the Jordan MTR station to wrap up this walking tour. Time check 7.20 pm and I need to get my arse down to Tsim Sha Tsui East Promenade before 8 to be able to catch a glimpse of the World renowned “Symphony of the Stars”.


Other images of Mong Kok / Yau Ma Tei Walking Route:

No comments: